Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Daughter was arrested last night for theft, food stamp fraud…

Customer Question
Daughter was arrested last...

Daughter was arrested last night for theft, food stamp fraud in San Antonio. What's the outcome if she's found guilty?

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

She's bonded out, 15 grand bail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

No, no money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She's mentally ill?Bi polar & some other stuff.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's situation. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Food stamp fraud is a felony under TX state law.

It's punishable by anywhere between 6 months to 2 years in jail and/or a fine up to $10,000.

That being said, if this is her first ever criminal offense she is also eligible for a pre trial deferment program.

Pre trial deferment is a program for first time offenders only and usually consists of rehabilitative classes, community service hours, and/or a fine. Then upon successful completion of the terms of the program, the charges against her are dismissed.

If you daughter suffers from mental health issues, this is also something that will need to be brought to the judge's attention. Most jurisdictions have a special division referred to as mental health court where judges are trained and knowledgeable on mental health issues and how that may have a role in a criminal case. Treatement for mental health issues is sometimes also made a part of the criminal case.

You or your daughter should look into hiring an attorney to represent her in this matter as soon as possible. If she can't afford a lawyer right now, then a public defender will be appointed to her at her first court date.

You can also consider contacting the Texas State Bar for a referal to a pro bono lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(###) ###-####/p>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer