Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If some asks me to have sex, I say no, he asks again, I say…

Customer Question
If some asks me to...
If some asks me to have sex, I say no, he asks again, I say no, he asks again, I say no, Is that harassment?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/20/2017
Criminal Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If it's not occurring the workplace it's not illegal harassment, it's just very bad manners. It would be illegal to stalk you or to threaten you with physical violence. It would also obviously be illegal to use violence. But making a verbal advance after being refused is not against the law.

I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary.

Thanks. Does repeated requests equate to stalking?

Stalking as defined by the criminal statutes in CA refers to following, harassing and/or threatening another person to the point where that individual fears for their safety. A reasonable person probably wouldn't fear for their safety if someone makes an additional verbal advance after initially being refused. However, there is a certain point where this could cross the line into conduct that actually does cause one to fear for their safety. For example, leaving 15 voicemails saying "go out with me or things will get difficult for you" would definitely constitute illegal stalking/harassment. But again, that's because this clearly crosses the line into conduct that would cause a reasonable person to fear for their safety. That is what this hinges on.

Certainly if you feel for your physical safety you could report it to the police. But at this point it may be premature, and if you report it now to the police then the police will take you less seriously down the line if you have to report it again. So it's usually better to wait until there is a clear feeling of being physically unsafe.

I hope this helps. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....