Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I need to speak to a lawyer about how Sedgwick Cy, Ks

Customer Question
I need to speak...

I need to speak to a lawyer about how Sedgwick Cy, Ks sentences their felony DUI cases. It really kind of a long story. I personally dont believe its legal, they sentence only certain cases to hours at the work release facility instead of days. as an example they sentenced myself to 4320 hours at the faciltiy now for me to be released from work release its going to take me 16 months to be released. That seems crazy to me and its not just myself they have done this to. If you would like more information I can be reached at **********. Thank you for your time.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Its the state of Kansas, but Sedgwick County is the only county that does their sentencing like this, of all 77 counties they are the only one. I live in Cowley County Kansas and they will not let me transfer to my home county because they make money for me being in their custody, on top of that they expect us to pay anywhere from $280 to $560 a month for being in work release. Im agreed in my plea deal to done work release for 6 months when I was sentenced they said I agreed to the 4320 hours which technically is 6 months only they said it had to be in hours.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as what? I have spoken to a number lawyers in Wichita Ks, and they all have different answers about why Sedgwick does this, I spoke to a couple of civil rights firms and they said that since they work in Sedgwick county that they couldnt help me out since it would be a conflict of interest. But they do admit privately that its wrong to be sentenced like this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just if they could call me that would be great because my typing sucks. Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 7 months ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. It will be my pleasure to assist you. The Attorneys cannot see your telephone number as the site blocks out personal information. The site should offer you an option for a telephone call.

Let me pull up the State law and check the county.

My cell number is *************, if you give me your number I'll be happy to call i t. Thank you

I am sorry I cannot see your number. You would need to accept a telephone call offered by the site.

Is this a first offense?

"Nothing is “automatic” in Kansas DUI laws. No matter what you may have been told, heard or even read elsewhere on the web, there is no such thing as an automatic penalty under the laws. However, there are many time-sensitive elements and some deadlines that cannot be missed in the fight against a conviction and administrative actions." https://nortonhare.com/dui-dwi-traffic-defense/felony-dui-kansas/

Are you online with me?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Criminal Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 6 months ago

Are you still online with me?