Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is it a crime in Rhode Island that my spouse stole my

Customer Question
identity...
Is it a crime in Rhode Island that my spouse stole my identity
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes it is, report it to the police here.The 2015 Act applies to persons (including individuals and business entities), state agencies and municipal agencies. Unlike the current law, the 2015 Act expressly includes municipal agencies as subject to its requirements. All persons, state agencies and municipal agencies must protect the personal information about a Rhode Island resident that they store, collect, process, maintain, acquire, use, own or license.

Personal information is defined broadly to mean an individual’s first name or first initial and last name, in combination with any one or more of the following data elements, when the name and data elements are not encrypted or are in hard copy paper format:

• Social security number;
  • Driver license number, Rhode Island identification number or tribal identification number;
  • Account number, credit or debit card number, with any required code or password ***** would permit access to an individual’s financial account;
  • Medical or health insurance information; or
  • E-mail address with any required code or password ***** would permit access to an individual’s personal, medical, insurance or financial account.

The new law also adds a definition of “encrypted” to require that data be in “a form in which there is a low probability of assigning meaning without use of a confidential process or key.”

It would be a crime here you can report it to the police and have her prosecuted. She stole you person information and misused it.

I appreciate the chance to help you, sorry this happened.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

There are several steps you should immediately take if you feel your identity has been stolen or used without your permission. Most credit card companies will not hold you responsible for charges made by a thief, but you need to act quickly.

• For any accounts that have been fraudulently opened or accessed, contact the security departments of the appropriate creditors or financial institutions and explain what happened. Close these accounts. Put new passwords on any new accounts you open.
  • Contact the fraud departments of each of the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union) to report that your identity has been stolen. Ask that a "fraud alert" be placed on your file and that no new credit be granted without your approval. Here are the numbers for reporting fraud:
    Equifax - 1-***-***-****
    Experian - 1-888-EXPERIAN (397-3742)
    Trans Union - 1-***-***-****
  • Contact your local police department to file a report. The report may be filed in the location in which the offense occurred, or the city or county in which you reside. When you file the report, provide as much documentation as possible, including copies of debt collection letters, credit reports, and your notarized ID Theft Affidavit.
  • File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) by calling the ID Theft Hotline: 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-***-***-****)

Help for victims is a phone call or a click away. Call the Federal Trade Commission toll-free,(###) ###-#### or go to www.consumer.gov/id theft for step-by-step advice about what to do if you're a victim of ID theft.

Thank you both. I just hung up with the FTC who took my report. He has stolen my identity via using my information to get charge cards and credit cards as well as stealing my email address and modem which held evidence. He called in my bank card and charge cards stolen while at the same time ordering a new debit card in my information and systematically robbing my Bank of America account 3 times. He’s broken into my home and mailbox and rendered my car unusable multiple times by killing the battery and flattening tires. He’s stolen cash I hid and my medical information for appointments to see cardiologist I need due to his cutting me off from money or any way to support myself. I don’t care about the affairs because he has narcissistic personality disorder and I don’t want to be his victim anymore.
This doesn’t include hacking my phone to the point of killing it and my having to go through 5 phones. The West Warwick police are corrupt and hurt me instead of helping me and threatened me should I ask for help. They did much worse that I’m afraid to say here.

Yes and make sure you report to local police here too.Prayers to you moving forward.Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer