Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I need to know what to say in a statement to get the no

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know what to say in a statement to get the no contact order against my husband lifted or at least amended it is for both my daughter and myself

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I am being told as the “victim” I don’t need to should i

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The police reports says my daughter told them I told her to lie to them I did not. I had her read it before I spoke to her she said she never said that

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 5 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Find the prosecutor handling the case against your husband. You can do that by contacting the prosecutor's office and asking for the name and the phone extension of the prosecutor assigned to the case of State v. [your husband's full name]. Then make an appointment to see him/her.

You're the victim of the crime, so the prosecutor is representing your interests and should talk to you. Tell the prosecutor that you want the order lifted or amended. You'll have to attempt to convince the prosecutor that you and your daughter have no fears for your personal safety and that you will not be subjected to harm if she lifts the order.

If the prosecutor doesn't agree, you'll have to raise the issue before the judge. A good way to do that is to talk to the defense lawyer and let him know that you want the order lifted or amended but that the prosecutor doesn't agree. He can tell the judge and ask for the lifting or the modification of the order.

You could also write to the judge, sending a copy to the defense lawyer and the prosecutor, if you'd rather not talk to the defense lawyer. Again, your focus should be on why you want the order lifted and why you feel confident that there would be no harm to you or your daughter if the judge orders it.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD