Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm just wondering, someone hacked my Facebook account and…

Customer Question
Hi I'm just wondering...

Hi I'm just wondering, someone hacked my Facebook account and made it look like I was trying to solicit sex with someone. Can I get in trouble even though I didn't send any of the messages?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. It just happened over the weekend

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanna know if I can get in trouble for someone hacking my Facebook account and making it look like I was soliciting sex

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your cyber crime question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you today.

If you were hacked then you can report the crime to your local law enforcement and District Attorney for prosecution. Hacking is a crime but State and Federal offenses exist.

The reporting of the crime may offer evidence to exonerate you from any liability with the unlawful use of your account.

The crime can be investigated and you would be a suspect but if you didn't solicit personally then you will have a full defense.

The FBI has a cyber crimes unit for an online tip off.
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber

In addition you will be able to sue this person in civil court for damages for identity theft and possible defamation.

If you need additional assistance please follow up with me.

We are here to help.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

So please proceed to rate FIVE STARS when you are finished.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer