Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

When an inmate is in custody he or she appears in court and…

Customer Question
When an inmate is...

When an inmate is in custody he or she appears in court and is mandated to drug rehab after time served by the court..What exactly is in order of the inmate

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

(a) After inmate serves their time they are not released from custody but escorted by jail staff or probation officer (b) released from custody to find their way to mandated rehab. Im in california San Luis Obispo 93401

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No mamn

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Here's what Im dealing with .My daughter had a serious drug problem .she had 19 pending drug cases .She was in custody and the courts mandated her to drug rehab.Her mother called the SLO county jail to give her a ride to drug rehab.Jail staff said she was being held for 5 more days due to warrant in an other county (drug related) The jail released her after only 3 day's .did not inform her mother since she was an adult.My daughter was out on the streets with out supervision and died from a drug over dose. Who can I sue for wrongful death. Shouldnt the probation department have been all over this .My daughter had a long history of drug abuse .Where do I turn for justice .my youngest daughter is dead .who can explain to me so I can take action

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/19/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley
I am so sorry for your loss. Was the court order set in such a way that she was supposed to go from jail directly to a rehab program? Has anyone explains why she was cut loose and put out on the streets and not escorted to her rehab?
No .I don't know why she was not escorted to drug rehab.I was informed by my oldest daughter that Stacy had been mandated by the courts to rehab.What exactly does mandated mean.I called the probation dept and asked to speak to Stacys probation officer and was told by receptionist.Stacy did not have a probation officer .Which I did not believe my ears.So I called the court clerk in SLO. Told her about what had happened and the clerk told me Stacy had 19 pending drug cases .The clerk said don't quote me but that she thought that Stacy should have not been released but escorted to drug rehab.When I told the clerk the probation receptionist said Stacy was not on probation.The Clerk told me that I could request all her cases and look at the sentencing and amended sentences but the clerk said she would have had to be on probation.I just don't know what to do .This is not right
how much is this costing me so far Im not happy with my time spent and have yet to get possitive feed back and must attend to other issues..Thank you Good bye
Ely, Counselor at Law