Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son was arrested in with small amount of "dab". Most of…

Customer Question
My son was arrested...

My son was arrested in with small amount of "dab". Most of it was part of a candy bar. All together he was arrested on 2nd degree felony. First offence. What are his chances of probation? He is a college student in colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Texas. He was arrested while driving. He showed the officer what he had. Half a joint, a tiny bit of Dab, and a candy bar made with oil. unopened

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/18/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

I guess my real question is, will he be able to get some type of probation because its a first offence? Is that typical ?

Typically, with a first non-violent offense of this kind, probation is likely on a plea offer. If your son has a substance abuse issue and he's being charged with a straight possessory offense, he may even be able to get a Drug Court disposition -- a special form of probation where he can get help for his problem and work off his conviction so that he can come out of this without a criminal record.

is this also typical in texas?

Yes. It's typical across the country on possession cases, assuming that the amounts are in personal use quantity.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Working right now. I will contact you tomorrow. thanks

Okay

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD