Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Last night my vehicle was stolen someone wrecked my van, i…

Customer Question
Last night my vehicle...

Last night my vehicle was stolen someone wrecked my van, i was drinking some beer went out to my van to listen to the radio, i then went for a walk when i returned to my home my van was gone i was about to call the police when i got a knock on the door the cop told me that my van was wrecked and the cop then said that he saw me waiking then said that i fled the scene but i didnt, and now i remember that i by accident left my keys in my van, i dont know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Keene texas the van is 17 years old

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Well thats the thing no, i havent reported it yet cause the police talked to me last night saying i fled the scene

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all i just need help quick i dont know what to do

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/17/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you saying that you left the keys in your van and someone stole it and wrecked it but the police think it was you who wrecked it? Have you been charged with leaving the scene? Was there injury or property damage caused by the accident?

i left my keys in the van no injury's but the police said a mail box was damaged, and no i was not charged with anything

How did the police leave the conversation? Did you tell them that your van was stolen and report the crime? Did they say they intended to charge you with leaving the scene?

my phone is not reliable

That's fine. YOu don't have to pay for a call. We can proceed here. However, I do need to understand all that went on and your concern. So again:

but the police didnt take a report and yes the police officer does intend to charge me with leaving the scene

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type a reply.

If you are charged with leaving the scene of an accident where there was property damage only, this would be a misdemeanor charge. The grade of the misdemeanor depends upon the amount of damage to the property. Here, fortunately, the property involved was a mailbox and not another vehicle. If such damage amounted to less than $200, this would only be a Class C misdemeanor, and you would only be facing a civil fine, which could be no more than $500.

If the property damage exceeds $200, that's a class B misdemeanor where the maximum possible penalty is 6 months in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000.

I realize you say that you were not responsible for driving the car. The police feel otherwise, and that means you can be charged and will have to fight the case and take it to trial if you don't want a plea bargain from the prosecutor on the misdemeanor.

You should retain a criminal lawyer to help you with your defense. The police are not going to take you into custody. If they wanted to do that, they would have already done it. You'll be able to fight this case while at liberty. But you should have counsel for best results if the case ends up charged as the B misdemeanor.

what do i do should i call the police now and report my van stolen then call my insurance company able this?

You would need to report the van stolen and then report it to your insurance company, so long as that is what actually happened, because you'll need the police report for insurance purposes.

But, the police believe you wrecked your car and then left the scene, even though you told them that it was stolen. So keep in mind that anything you say to the police and to your insurance company from here can potentially be used against you and you might want to retain a local criminal lawyer before you do so, as he may want to do this with and/or for you or see what you intend to say before you report it.

It is a crime to file a false report to the police or to file a false claim with your insurance company. It is possible based on what the police have told you that you could end up charged with additional crimes by reporting it, even if you are telling the truth.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD