Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My wife was just ticketed for carrying a concealed gun on a…

My wife was just...

My wife was just ticketed for carrying a concealed gun on a military base. 18 USC 930. She has a ticket that orders her to appear in court. She is wondering if she needs a lawyer or just to show up and plead guilty for being a dummy by forgetting to remove it from her purse. She was in a hurry with holiday shopping and just had a lapse in memory. This was a random search situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any official paperwork been filed?

This is Kitsap County WA, on the Bangor Navy installation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, she just got home with her ticket.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is retired Naval officer, registered nurse, CCW permit holder here in WA and FL. She has the permit and it is current.

12/17/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

OK Zoey, thanks very much. We are standing by.

She can get anywhere up to 6 months of prison for this crime, to say nothing of losing her gun rights and having a felony conviction on her record.

The last thing in the world a criminal defendant should do is to walk into court and plead guilty. That will give her an immediate felony conviction and she will be unable to bargain for a favorable sentence.

All criminal defendants have the right to plead not guilty at their arraignment and it's both customary and expected that they do that, even if/when they know they have committed the crime. A plea of not guilty is the ONLY plea that would keep all of her legal rights open to her

Zoey_ JD
Phone call session started
Zoey, my wife's number is(###) ###-#### Her name is Deirdre.

calling very shortly.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD