Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is providing false affidavits a criminal action and if so if…

is providing false affidavits a...
is providing false affidavits a criminal action and if so if an arrest or mitmus is issued on that basis, is that also a criminal action.
12/15/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

is providing false affidavits a criminal action

Yes. In every state filing a false report with the authorities and/or lying on a sworn statement or under oath is a criminal offense.

and if so if an arrest or mitmus is issued on that basis, is that also a criminal action.

Not necessarily. All the state needs to initiate an arrest/issue a warrant is something called probable cause. Probable cause is just a reasonable belief that you may have committed a crime. The words of a credible complainant can be enough to provide probable cause, even if down the road he or she turns out to have been a liar. In any case a false arrest would not be a criminal action but a civil action for which you could sue as a violation of your civil rights.

Zoey_ JD
What happens if the entity providing or disseminating the false affidavit is a state entity or official?