Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm currently facing an E felony charge in New York State…

Customer Question
I'm currently facing an E...
I'm currently facing an E felony charge in New York State after a recent DWI charge. This carries extra weight since I have a prior DWI from 2007 (9 yrs & 10 mo earlier). It's further compounded by a DWAI from 2002. The gravity of my situation comes from two factors. This is strike three and it is within 10 years of the last DWI.For the past six years, I have educated myself for a career in healthcare. I'm currently a certified medical assistant and the goal has always been to become a physician's assistant.My question is this: Will I be able to become licensed as a PA with an E felony on my record?I'll have a hard enough time finding employment when I have to notify potential employers of my history. I don't want to bother spending the time and money if the end result is a nonstarter. The felony would be accompanied by no jail time and five years of probation. Any misdemeanor offer would most likely carry some jail time. Do I dare try to take jail time and forfeit the first job I've been hired at in seven years? Will this sacrifice be my only option to still pursue a career as a PA?Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This deal from the ADA expires soon. I'm having a hard time putting my name on a felony plea since it's causing me to have an existential crisis. I'm afraid not accepting, or trying to negotiate a misdemeanor, will only worsen my situation.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 19 days by:
1/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The good news is that NY is one of the states that do not have a bar for licensure as a Physician's Assistant due to having a felony conviction on your record.

Rather, they evaluate each candidate on a case by case basis as you go through the licensing process.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!