Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I'm currently facing an E felony charge in New York State…

Customer Question
I'm currently facing an E...
I'm currently facing an E felony charge in New York State after a recent DWI charge. This carries extra weight since I have a prior DWI from 2007 (9 yrs & 10 mo earlier). It's further compounded by a DWAI from 2002. The gravity of my situation comes from two factors. This is strike three and it is within 10 years of the last DWI.For the past six years, I have educated myself for a career in healthcare. I'm currently a certified medical assistant and the goal has always been to become a physician's assistant.My question is this: Will I be able to become licensed as a PA with an E felony on my record?I'll have a hard enough time finding employment when I have to notify potential employers of my history. I don't want to bother spending the time and money if the end result is a nonstarter. The felony would be accompanied by no jail time and five years of probation. Any misdemeanor offer would most likely carry some jail time. Do I dare try to take jail time and forfeit the first job I've been hired at in seven years? Will this sacrifice be my only option to still pursue a career as a PA?Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This deal from the ADA expires soon. I'm having a hard time putting my name on a felony plea since it's causing me to have an existential crisis. I'm afraid not accepting, or trying to negotiate a misdemeanor, will only worsen my situation.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 19 days by:
1/3/2018
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Sorry for the delay. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The good news is that NY is one of the states that do not have a bar for licensure as a Physician's Assistant due to having a felony conviction on your record.

Rather, they evaluate each candidate on a case by case basis as you go through the licensing process.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer