Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Was involved in a Domestic violence case with my wife.

Customer Question
Incident details: Had an argument...
Was involved in a Domestic violence case with my wife. Incident details: Had an argument and accident in the kitchen involving my wife, during which i accidently touched a hot pan her upper chest area near the neck, which resulted in a fine burn mark . She claimed I tossed the contents of the pan at her, but stated that I did not intend to harm her with the hot pan.I was subsequently arrested on Domestic Violence felony charges and charged with felony by DA who first reviewed the case.
A different DA who is now assigned to the case reduced the charge to misdemeanor (battery) after the discovery phase.Given the details of the incident, wanted to see if misdemeanor (battery) is the best possible outcome, or is there is any alternate path for getting it reduced to Disturbance of Peace charge. My attorney is unable to convince the DA to reduce the charge to disturbance of peace.Also, can a misdemeanor charge potentially impact future employment opportunities? I have a white-collar Director-level position in the tech sector.Thanks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Well, it is not a good charge to have on your record, especially since it is still a domestic violence conviction, which means you cannot possess a firearm and could not get a concealed carry permit if convicted. Also, any conviction, even misdemeanor could impact your employment with future employers

Typically, if your spouse refuses to show up and testify, the DA's case falls apart because there needs to be someone who can testify as a first hand witness to the alleged offense. While the DA could pursue charges without your spouse, they still need someone to testify as to what happened and without that they really cannot convict you, so your attorney would do best dragging this out getting continuances until the DA loses interest in the case and that increases your chances of getting some minor misdemeanor or even offense without any domestic violence notation which is the worst part of the whole thing because of the firearm prohibition.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.