Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

We have a homeless teen (18), on probation, under our roof.

Customer Question
We have a homeless...

We have a homeless teen (18), on probation, under our roof. We want to take her out of state for a family Christmas for 4 days. Due to my lack of understanding who was responsible for contacting the parole officer, the request for permission to travel was sent late (15 days prior are required, I sent the request 10 days prior). Is there anything I can do to help the decision go in our favor?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. Just sent the request to the PO yesterday, and was told today that 15 days are needed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The youth is at 11.5 months of her 12 month probation, and she has complied with all requirements. She was kicked out of her family home about 2 months ago, and has been homeless since, sleeping on various friend's couches. We took her in about 5 weeks ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post and will be working on a reply.

The sentencing judge has more power than a probation officer. So if you're running out of time and can't get an answer from probation, you can get the matter before the judge and ask him to let her travel for the holidays. This is best done through a lawyer who will be able to get the case added to the judge's calendar and advocate for the vacation.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD