Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What charges are brought against a snap recipient buying…

Customer Question
What charges are brought...

What charges are brought against a snap recipient buying food with stamps and selling that food commercially

Lawyer's Assistant: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.

We are a merchant taking snap.we also have a deli. a couple came in, that was starting a food truck business, seeking advice so we gave it and reduced our retail price on our smoked pork. my wife offered to further assist by buying french fries and letting them have them at our cost. we charged sales tax on that transaction. their second time in they wanted to and did pay with their snap benefits. in reflexion, i think i may have made a mistake in accepting this transaction. they stated that they buy for their truck from Sam's Wholesale using snap anyway. this is an obvious fraud.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Fraud Examiner should know?

Pretty short story. I'm willing to help in any way. if you intend to do anything with this let me know now. should i continue to do these transactions? i stand responsible for my actions.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/14/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The SNAP program states that benefits are to be used for food "for home consumption." 7 U.S.C. 2012. They cannot use SNAP to purchase food they plan to sell to third parties. If they have told you that's what the food is for, you can refuse to accept the benefits. Continuing to accept the benefits knowing they're using them for commercial purposes could put you in danger of losing your program participation eligibility. It's a misuse of the benefit, which is a felony. If the amount they've spent is between $100 and $5,000, they're looking at 5 years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000 under 7 U.S.C. 2024.

You can report suspicious SNAP activity to the federal government at(###) ###-#### Or you can use this map to contact your local state office:

https://www.fns.usda.gov/program-integrity

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?