Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can I reopen domestic violence case if he is in provision…

Second opinion] Can I reopen...
Second opinion] Can I reopen domestic violence case if he is in provision period now?Background: My husband got arrested in domestic violence case an year ago in November 2016 and case was in proceedings, His family requested me and he promised that he will do mutual divorce without contesting in child custody and property sharing. He came out of the case and he is in provision period for 3 months, which is until Feb2018.
Now he is planning to contest for my visa (legal status to stay in united states) and money. He has nothing to lose as he is dependent on me. He is simply saying I don’t have nothing to lose if I contest, I need to bare his lawyer expenses as well.
He is in domestic violence probation period
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What do you want to do actually?

Also, as a victim of domestic violence, he is pretty confused about what he is threatening to do, because if you prove domestic violence happened he cannot contest your visa and he is just trying to scare you and you will not have to pay his lawyer's expense.

This guy is continuing to bully you and actually him making such threats could be deemed continued abuse and violation of his probation. So at this point if you do not have your own attorney, you should have one because your husband is lying to you to scare you to do what he wants, but him contesting your visa is a far cry from reality because there still is a domestic violence provision in the immigration law that can give you permanent green card status as a victim of domestic violence AND since he committed DV against YOU, you would not owe his attorney's fees. Remember this is what abusers do, they try to scare and intimidate the people they abused.

You need to report him continuing to make threats against you to his probation officer.

Thanks for your response..it is really giving me a confidence...

Thank you for your reply.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.