Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I received a summons to appear in court for a class 4

Customer Question
I received a summons...

I received a summons to appear in court for a class 4 misdemeanor charge. I have no prior record of child abuse. I am taking classes per CPS recommendation

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

What are common charges for 1st time offenders

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, does the judge review the CPS file when determining this evidence

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

What exactly is the misdemeanor charge you have been charged with?

See attached summons
Documents from CPS. These documents from CPS contains lots of inconsistencies
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

This is a class A misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine of up to $500.

If it's your first ever criminal offense, then it may be possible to be enrolled in pre trial diversion which is a program reserved for first time offenders only, and usually involves attending rehabilitative classes, community service hours, and/or paying a fine.

Once the terms of the program are successfully completed, the charges against you are dismissed.

Other possibilites also include probation, and/or a shorter jail sentence followed by probation.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!