Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My fiancé is going up for parole tomorrow. There’s no reason…

Customer Question
My fiancé is going...

My fiancé is going up for parole tomorrow. There’s no reason he shouldn’t get it but I’m terrified he won’t without a good lawyer since that’s how our system works. What determines parole? He was eligible in June 2017, hasn’t got in any trouble, served more than 1/4 of his sentence, has a job waiting for him upon release.. what more does it take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since parole regulations vary, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He’s in for I don’t really second nonviolent and shoplifting. The parole is for enhancement $2000 or less

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Anyone there?
12/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

Good morning. I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Thank you

Basically, all of the features you have mentioned are important to parole, but there are other aspects that they look at. They also take into consideration the risk to the community and the likelihood that he will reoffend if released. To that effect they look at the various assessments they perform -- psychological tests, for example, and other evaluations of the inmate and his performance during the course of his imprisonment.

Parole lawyers can put together an attractive package of character references and other information designed to show that a parole candidate has a support system to help him succeed on the outside. But they are not necessary to the process.

I wish your boyfriend good luck. With a non-violent crime, a job and family waiting on the outside, he has a good chance of release.

How soon after the hearing tomorrow will we know an answer? We have sent letters from his boss, family, and friends for his packet.

The time frame varies from one jurisdiction to another, so I can't really say with any certainty.