Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am in nevada and wanted to purchase a gun for home

Customer Question
protection but i had an...
i am in nevada and wanted to purchase a gun for home protection but i had an arrest / misdemeanor when i was 21 (now 36) for domestic violence with my girlfriend for "pushing". I've never had anything since. do you know if a misdemeanor will prohibit me from purchasing?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, if you were convicted or pled guilty to a domestic violence charge, then you would be banned under federal law for life from possession of a firearm.

.

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping, transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition:

.

(9) a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

.

So if you went to purchase a firearm and the FFL dealer submitted your application, it goes to the ATF, which is a federal agency, and they would then reject it.

.

I think it is a foolish law and there should be some exceptions or ways to expunge this type of charge at the federal level, but right now, there is no funding for the actual law that would allow it.. Maybe the current administration will change that...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much