Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Please advise whether i am a victim or defendant, I was

Customer Question
Hello Please advise whether i am...
Hello
Please advise whether i am a victim or defendant, I was asked to keep money in a safe place. I was told that money is a gift and it was declared before they brought the money. But after when the money was brought it turned out that it was not declared, will i be penalised or the person who brought the money to Uk illegally. Which law would protect me?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

No, you would not be penalized, the law required you intentionally participated in any criminal offense. If you were told the money was declared, that is all you need to show and they could not prove intent against you. There is no "law" that protects you, it is the fact that if you lack intent, then you are the victim of being lied to.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.