Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Need civil rights advice. FL. Nothing its just a question…

Customer Question
Need civil rights advice ...

Need civil rights advice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing its just a question about waiving your civil right as a student at a private school by accepting the student handbook

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. What is your question?

If if your child is enrolled in a private school and you signed the student handbook acknowledging that the school is allowing them to search their phone, search the computer, question them without a parent present. Are you allowed to forfeit your civil rights like that?

I do not believe the school would be violating any civil rights, but this does seem highly suspicious and I would recommend not enrolling your child in such a school. The right to be free from unreasonable searches only applies to government institutions, so a private school would not be subject to the same restrictions.