Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My daughter lives with her Mother in County, Georgia. She is…

Customer Question
My daughter lives with her...
My daughter lives with her Mother in Henry County, Georgia. She is 16 years old. This past weekend, a Senior in her school wrote two messages on Snapchat. 1) I'm giving people one more chance or the are f'ing done. A short time later, it was followed up with a 2nd message, "If you're reading this, you are safe from the terror that is about to come."It was sent to 4 people. One of the recipients forwarded to a group for students and my daughter received it. She spoke with her Mom and they notified the police the next morning. However, prior to that and with her Mother's permission, my daughter sent a warning to 14 of her friends that this guy sounded like he was threatening to shoot up the school and she wanted to warn them.My daughter had been suspended from school for causing a disruption and cannot return until the School Board holds a hearing on her possible punishment.What rights does my daughter have? She thought she was doing the right thing as did her Mother.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Really, the school punished your daughter for reporting what sounds like a terroristic threat to the reasonable person, this would have a "chilling effect" on reporting potential threats to the safety of the school.

So, at this point, the first thing you need to do is get your daughter a local civil rights attorney, since she is being suspended for actually doing what students are told to do, report suspected threats to school safety. She has a right to attend school and not be punished for making such reports and quite frankly she can seek money damages for the emotional distress the school has put her through. In fact, if it were my case, I would also refer you to the local news media to let them know the school is punishing a student for reporting suspected threat instead of taking proper action to protect the school and students, which would also put more pressure on the school board to put her back to school immediately.

So, if I were you, I would be hiring a local attorney to represent your daughter and I would pursue the school for improperly suspending her without any investigation into the matter.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer