Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I worked for an optometrist for 8 years. During that time an…

Customer Question
I worked for an optometrist...
I worked for an optometrist for 8 years. During that time an employee documented in my daughters chart that I was Psycho and her father is a sex addict as a joke. It is now in my daughters permanent records. Nothing was done to the employee. Could I file a legitimate lawsuit for falsifying medical records?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/12/2017
Criminal Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Can you clarify what permanent record you're referring to? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thank you.

This false information was put in my teenage daughters medical records.

Hi again.

Have you asked the optometrist to remove the entries in question? If so, and if the optometrist refuses, what is his explanation?

What I'm getting at is this: There is no such thing as a permanent medical record. There are records maintained by various providers, such as the optometrist, and they can be modified whenever it's appropriate such as now.

There was a note put in her records that it was a "joke" but it can not be deleted since it is an electronic medical record.
I no longer work for this optometrist. She fired me. I knew a lot of information about the company. She was filing fraudulent insurance claims, not paying payroll taxes, not reporting income to the IRS etc... and she felt I was a threat to her. This is a very difficult situation seeing that my husband works for her husband.

Hi again.

I doubt the optometrist maintains a system that does not allow for modifications. Are you implying that you asked for the record to be modified and they claimed that they could not? Or are you suggesting that you did not ask?

I am saying that the system does not allow for deletions. Addedums can be made but it can not be deleted. I was the IT administrator for the software so had expertise in that area.