Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am looking into having gun rights restored, if it is

I am looking into...

I am looking into having gun rights restored, if it is possible. I currently live in Albuquerque, NM. when I was 21-22 I was arrested for a drug charge. I pled guilty to the charge of trafficking and was placed on a 5 year probation with a differed sentence. I completed my probation with out getting into trouble. I am currently 49 yrs old and have never been in any kind of trouble since. I have never been unemployed and have been gainfully employed for the last 18 yrs with the same company. I'm not sure if I am eligible to have my gun rights restored.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Albuquerque, NM in 1989

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not really, I did speak to one a few years ago but I didn't fallow through.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that's it. I'm employed , I own my own home, never been in any kind of trouble since.

12/11/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The state of New Mexico will restore your firearms rights 10 years after you have finished your probation. But the Federal government will require more for you to have all of your gun rights back. The Federal government will require the restoration of all of your civil rights, as well as your firearms rights before you'll have Federal rights again. That would recover a pardon from your governor.

So as far as New Mexico is concerned, you can possess a weapon. But you won't be able to pass a NICs check since you have no Federal rights and if caught with a firearm by a Federal agent, your state rights wouldn't protect you from prosecution.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Thank you

You're very welcome!

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD