Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How much does a lawyer cost to help a case with aggravated…

Customer Question
How much does a lawyer...
How much does a lawyer cost to help a case with aggravated assault?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 7 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The site does not provide legal representation but we are able to answer any questions which you may have

How much would a lawyer cost

Prices will vary based upon if there is a trial fee included. For something like this which is a felony and carries prison time, an attorney could charge a retainer of $5000+ and an additional trial fee of $2500+. It could be more or less and a lot depends on the facts of the case and the work involved. There is no set price for this as each attorney sets their own prices for representation.

How long is prison time for two counts of aggravated assault

The punishment for aggravated assault is dependent upon the degree of conviction. Aggravated assault may be classified as a felony of the first or second degree. A second-degree aggravated assault conviction, which refers to aggravated assault that did not result in serious bodily injury, is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

However, if the defendant caused serious bodily injury to the victim, then the aggravated assault is considered a first-degree felony. In the case of a first degree felony conviction, the defendant will face up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000.

The inmate told me that the officers messed up his papers by changing up their stories about what happened. How can i use that against his case

You would need to depose these officers and anyone else involved, to obtain information and create doubt and/or show that what was alleged and what he is charged with, did not happen

How do i go by questioning the judge and officers? How do i obtain evidence from the officers?

It would be done during the discovery process. You can not question or depose the judge but any officers involved or have knowledge, can be deposed.

When is the discovery process? Preliminary hearing has passed

For a case like this, you need to request the public defender or retain private counsel. You should not be handling this on your own unless you have experience doing so

Does any of those options have a fee?

The public defender is free, so if you qualify, there should be no charge. If you retain private counsel, it will cost you thousands of dollars, as I shared above.

How do i contact his public defender? Who do i go through to ask to speak with him?
You would request it when you appear in court. If you have already appeared you can call their office today and see if there is anyway they can start representing you prior to your next court date.
His court hearing is next month. Could i do so now or the day of?

He can contact their office this morning and see if any of the paperwork can be submitted but it normally needs to be done in court, where the Judge can appoint the public defender As such, he may need to wait until next month and advise the Judge that he can not afford to retain private counsel.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!