Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was arrested 5 years ago for a warrant from alabama on a…

Customer Question
I was arrested 5...

I was arrested 5 years ago for a warrant from alabama on a probation violation and I was also charged with resisting arrest and stayed in jail 80 days. I have never been covicted of felony just adjudicated a youthful offender and that was what I was on probation for. I have since moved back to alabama but still haven't cleared it up and I've been pulled over in Alabama and the state trooper didn't arrest me cause he didn't see it apparently or its not there. I'm curious if they recalled the warrant because I was in another state and refused to be extradited.also the violation was a te hnical one that you can get up to 90 days for and we'll even though I didn't serve 90 days for the PV I still served 80 days for the resisting while waiting for court in south carolina. I'm wondering if they accepted my 80 days inadvertently and called it even..

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I'm just afraid to bother a sleeping dog if you catch my drift lol

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'mMalo curious does a youthful offender adjudication include the 2 charges you were arrested for or only 1 out of the two.. basically if you have 2 charges is the whole case under youthful offender.. I've had background checks done on me and the alabama YO never appears anywhere.. the alabama court search website shows my case number ***** confidential and I obviously can't view it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I see that you requested a phone call, I'm available and I'd be happy to speak with you over the phone in reference to your above questions.

I'll send you the service offer and once you follow the link we can get set up for the call. Thanks!

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

That was an accident. I do not want a phone call. Just please answer on here

Sure, no problem.

I'm wondering if they accepted my 80 days inadvertently and called it even..

Answer: Yes, this is possible. It's not what usually happens, but it is possible. Customarily the prosecutor will try to get you to serve a separate additional term for the violation, as opposing to crediting you time served on a separate charge.

It is also possible that the warrant didn't show up in the officer's system even though it's still there and active. This has been known to happen as well.

Of course, the best scenario here is that your assumption is right: they credited you time served and closed this all out.

The best route for you would be to find out whether this is true or not -- you can hire a local attorney to take a look into your case, set a hearing before a judge, and get the case closed out with time served, if it wasn't already. The good news is that since this is an old case, for a minor offense, the judge should be inclined to close the case out.

Your other option would be to go into the Clerk's Office at the courthouse where this case was heard, request the case file, and then look at what the final case disposition is. You'd be able to see whether the case was closed out, or if it's still open.

The only qualm about doing that yourself would be if there was in fact an active warrant out for you still. However the records of the Clerk's Office are public record, so you could potentially have a friend or relative do that for you, before you retain a lawyer, ad then only hire a lawyer if your case is still in fact outstanding.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

I'm not sure we're both exactly on the same page lol. That's ok, I was remiss in articulating the details. In 2004 I was arrested for TOP 1ST & Burglary 3rd. The case was garbage in my opinion without going into detail. Anyways, at the close of the case I was adjudicated a youthful offender and I assume that both of those charges are included in the youthful offender status or only one is and you are convicted of the other? I'm still unsure of that? I was on probation for 3 years and at the very end of the probation I got behind on my monies slightly and my probation officer thought I went out of state, but I actually didn't and he arrested me and I sit in jail for a few days until Monday to see the circuit judge and the judge let me out on an OR BOND for a PO Violation, YES I know what your thinking!! It's just at that time I made a few bad decisions AND my probaiton officer was bully to be honest and had the WRONG impression of me. that's not what the judge thought I'm just saying. He made his decision on his own and thankfully it was in my favor. When I got out on the OR bond against the PO's recommendation my case was constantly continued while I got a job and on track then the violation was to go away with a 1 year extension on my. At the last court date I actually missed it thinking it was on one day instead of another and I became so nervous about it I left the state. I know, stupid stupid. A warrant was issued in Alabama and I remained in SC until a family court situation of another turned the warrant up on me and the police came looking for me and where I chose not to cooperate and come outside and was charged with resisting arrest and fugitive from justice. I elected to fight the extradition and Alabama chose not to come get me. I was incarcerated 80 days while waiting for the resisting to go to court where I got 9 months state probation, 80 days time served with a fine that I successfully completed in SC. Fast forward a couple years I got my life together once and for all and got a great job to which I'm 5 years clean and employed with the same company and i live in Alabama with an Alabama license and lif could not be better. I've never been a criminal just a stupid kid back when the Alabama stuff happened in 2004. As it is there is $4,000+ in garbage restitution outstanding that I refuse to want pay because I didn't take that amount. I just want this behind me. I'm afraid if I do get a lawyer that will stir the pot and put my job and good life I have now in jeapordy. Logic tells me that a judge wouldn't disrupt someone like me considering how well I'm doing now but you never know. I know I should do that but I'm just curious from a lawyer what might of happened with those facts in mind. Also, only I myself and the court can see the file for my case because it's youthful offender so I can't send someone ya know. It's just nerve wreking to me. I will give a good rating for your answers btw.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer