Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

We have been helping a mother and son by allowing them to…

Customer Question
We have been helping...

We have been helping a mother and son by allowing them to live in are living room at no charge. We have asked them to leave and they refuse. What can we do. We live in Harford County, Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/11/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Unfortunately, once you allow a person to make residence in your home, they assume the rights of a month to month tenant. This is true even if the pay no rent and you consider them a "houseguest" The law considers them a tenant.

Therefore you will need to give one month's notice to terminate their "tenancy". Give it in writing, including a specific date when they must vacate, if not sooner (voluntarily).

If they fail to vacate by the stated date then you will need to file a forcible detainer action in the local court to get an order of ejectment. The order is then placed with the sheriff for execution and they come out to the property to remove the tenant/guest and their personal property.

I wish I could tell you there is an easier way, but unless you follow this process, you expose yourself to civil liability.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!