Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Would like to see sample letter to a judge requesting

Customer Question
Would like to see...

Would like to see sample letter to a judge requesting permission travel out of state

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Are you currently on probation?

No i cannot pay 59 more
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Do you have an attorney that represented you on your case? They should be willing to help you with this.

The site is meant for general informational purposes only, so while I cannot write the letter for you, I can let you know exactly what you should include in the letter, and if this is something you're interested in, the site does offer a document review service for a small addtitioanl fee. I would be happy to review the letter you draft as well, to makes sure that it includes everything before you send it off.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

The phone call request is auto generated from the site, you can disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now. Did you receive my prior message though?

I read ur response. I would like to know what needs to be included in the request
My phone is at 28%. Don't have much time
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Sure no problem, I'd be happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to type the information up for you.

Hello. 4-5 msgs exchanged but u hvnt provided any info that will help me
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

You can follow the following steps as written out to draft and send your letter:

• Title your letter Request to Travel
  • Write the style (heading) of the case on the letter
  • state that you are on probation
  • ask for permission to travel to your specific state of destination
  • Be sure to include your specific travel dates
  • Sign and date the letter
  • Mail it into the Clerk's office at the courthouse where your underlying case was heard
  • You can wait a few days and then call the clerk's office to make sure that your letter has been recieved and forwarded to the judge.

It's also very important to note, that unless the Judge has specifically stated that this is his/her preferred method for your request, the proper way to file this request would be through drafting a motion.

The motion would include much of the same information I listed above, but would be filed with the Clerk of Court and a hearing date scheduled.

The judge would then hear the motion argued in court, and make a decision there.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

I sent you a comprehensive answer above, detailing everything a letter or motion should include for your request to travel.

Please let me know if you did not receive it, and I can re-send it to you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, then please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!