Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Sure - my bf lost his criminal trial on Wed and was

Customer Question
Sure - my bf...

Sure - my bf lost his criminal trial on Wed and was convicted of two felony charges. At the end, the judge remanded him to custody for knowing/willful violation of his probation terms (for a civil dvro). He wont be sentenced until Jan 5 and I'm wondering if he might be released before then?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

California. felony posssession with intent to sell meth/heroin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He has public defender. waiting on her reply but he said to me he thinks he will be out in 10 days pending sentencing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Seems unlikely no

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 4 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. When you say he will not be sentenced, do you mean on the felon convictions? If so, did the Judge impose sentence on the probation violation?

sentencing will be on Jan 5. He got remanded without bail for the probation violation. He faces up to 4 years 8 months on the felonies plus another year on the probation violation. Since there is no minimum sentence, what do you think he will actually get? This is in Sacramento and it was his first drug related offense.

Thank you for the reply. If there is a no bond hold on him for the probation violation, he will not be released from jail before January 5th. The sentence imposed depends on 1) his prior criminal record and 2) facts of the crime, which the State proved at trial. If there was a serious case involving drugs, the Judge could give him a year or two. If this was simply possession, he could get probation and time served, on the probation violation. It is impossible to say what the Judge will get him, unless there is a mandatory minimum for what he was convicted of and if there was, the Judge will at least have to impose the minimum.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law