Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter, 32 is in probation. Her probation officer

Customer Question
My daughter, 32 is...

My daughter, 32 is in probation. Her probation officer continually degrades, insults, puts down my daughter calling her a liar, threatens her, twists events to indicate factscwere not as they are, she has been called to task on this in court. Says to her your not my friend, your a f**k up and you need to be in jail. Etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She has an attorney who is ill with diabetes, furious with her treatment but has not addressed the issue

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is in Mental Health court in Seattle, this charge is in Issaquah where they don’t acknowledge her mental health issues which are serious.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm so sorry to hear this has been happening to your daughter.

Based on the information you shared, her PO has definitely not been managing your daughter's case with professionalism.

This should be reported and brought to the judge's attention immediately, along withe a request for a new probation officer.

Even though her attorney is ill, her attorney still has a duty to represent your daughter and adequately represent her interests.

If her attorney is unavailable, then he should schedule another attorney from his firm to file this motion and set a court date for your daughter to have the management of her probation transferred to another PO.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Requesting a new PO officer... is that something that is difficult to get approved by the judge and would it possibly make things more difficult or worse for her?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

It's always possible, but no, it should not make things more difficult.

Given the way her PO has treated her and the things that have been said, it should not be difficult to get her case transferred to another PO.

If her PO has been this hostile, it's also a bit risky to have your daughter continue with her, because the PO may be looking for ways to violate your daughter.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!