Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have no record but i just bailed out yesterday for a

Customer Question
I have no record...

I have no record but i just bailed out yesterday for a domestic with my wife will i have to do time in jail

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My wife and i just had a 2 month old daughter and she said she dose not want to press chargers or see me in jail

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

will the case be thrown out because my wife does not want to press chargers
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this happened. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

ok
i dont have 59$
hello
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up my response here in the chat.

You are aware that this is a paid for service though, correct? ..You do have to pay the site for the questions answered here in this chat, and I do ask that after receiving my answer, and my answer to any follow up questions you might have, that you leave a positive rating for me, so that I can be credited by the site for my time and help with your question.

Would you like me to proceed?

please thankyou
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Okay give me just a few minutes to type up my response, thanks!

my question is will i get time if my wafe does not press chargers and or show up on my court date?
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

The answer is a little more detailed than that, since we can't chat which makes it a bit quicker to exchange information, give me just a few minutes to type up my response, thanks!

************ is my number

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Since the police were involved and an arrest was made, the case now goes to the prosecutor and whether your case is pursued is up to the prosecutor not your wife.

Even though your wife may want the charges dismissed, the prosecutor is still under a duty to prosecute the case if they meet their evidentiary requirements to prove the case.

That being said, your wife can let them know that she is not willing to testify and wishes the case be dismissed.

The prosecutor will then have to evaluate whether they can prove the case without your wife's testimony -- ie. was there other physical evidence, such as photos or video of the alleged incident, were there other witnesses you will give a statement or testify, etc.

If not, and if the prosecutor can't prove the case without your wife, then yes, the charges will end up being dismissed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Per site rules and policies, I can't call you directly. The site uses a third party server to connect our phone call, after you follow the link I sent you earlier and process payment.

I know you mentioned that was not an option for you right now, but I have sent your answer and a detailed explanation in the chat above.

Let me know if you still have any questions after reading my answer, and please, take a moment to leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my time and help. Thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!