Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Our son has a bail hearing today for aggravated assault. He…

Customer Question
Our son has a...

Our son has a bail hearing today for aggravated assault. He has a psychosis and not taking medsHow do we get them court mandated therapy instead of being held without bond?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland, Montgomery County. His sister is the victim and does not want to press charges. We do want to get him Treatment and help

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not yet. Hearing should be 1 PM or so today

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Give me just a few minutes and I'll type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Unfortunately the bond hearing is not the forum in which a judge can order your son into a treatment facility.

That happens later in the case. Today's hearing will be only limited to the issuance of a bond amount, and you can then decide whether you want to bail him out of custody or not.

At the next court hearing, referred to as Arraignment your son will assigned a public defender, if he is unable to afford a private defense attorney.

It's at this point that his attorney would be able to apprise the court of his mental health situation and ask that his case be transferred to mental health court.

The case should then be transferred to a special division of the courts, known in most jurisdicitions as mental health court, and it's here that the judge will be able to order your son into a treatment or residential center to receive therapy as part of his case.

I hope that helps explain things. I know the process can be a little confusing or difficult to maneuver, let me know if you still have any other questions.

Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 8 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!