Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I actually have court this morning in about two hours and I…

Customer Question
Hi I actually have...

Hi I actually have court this morning in about two hours and I stupidly I have no representation whatsoever. Also there is a possibility I have a warrant in a neighboring county so I am worried that I will be arrested at this preliminary hearing. Is there way to find out if I have a warrants or any idea of what is going to happen today?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

I am in Pennsylvania. The warrant was issued in February as far as I know, however it was for an incident in which I was not arrested nor did I commit the crime. At the scene no f**k no charges were pressed and also when I was recently arrested for the hearing today they ran my name and no warrant came up twice my name was ran and no warrant came however I know that there was one in February. However my co-defendant went to court and apparently told them that I was not involved and I have no idea what is going on. I was never told of The hearing because it was sent to the wrong address . I literally found out a few days ago while my sister was searching PA docket sheets

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I have just found out about this possible warrants him and I was frankly scared to talk to anybody. And I just I suppose out of fear didn’t contact anybody and I am on the way out the door now to court and I have no idea what to expect.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The way to find out if you have a bench warrant is to call the courthouse when they open, give them the name of the case, and ask if they see any warrants on the docket. You can also give them your name and ask if they see anything there. Bench warrants do not always get reported beyond the courtroom, so may not come up on a warrant check.

It is theoretically possible that the judge in your current case will see the warrant and have you taken into custody. It's also possible that he'll tell you to go clear it up, or that he won't see it at all.

There are often representatives from the public defender's office at the courthouse when you arrive. It can sometimes help to talk to one of them before going into the courtroom.

If you can give me a bit of information about what type of hearing this is and what you're accused of doing, I can give you more information.

Do you have any questions about this?