Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm from MA, my situation is a legal possible criminal

Customer Question
Hello, I'm from MA...

Hello, I'm from MA, my situation is a legal possible criminal matter. Theft of over One hundred dollars. I was aprehended by store manager returned the items..police where called. I was made to sign papers ..I didn't actually read. And today received a letter with a pine of 500 dollars. Should I pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was not arrested. I have no prior. Or outstanding warrants. However the police informed me that I would receive a letter for larceny felony. I'm confused about the civil fine letter?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Massachusetts. Ok. This is difficult. I was caught as I walked out door to have unpaid merchandise iny bags. I walked in with store manager an employee or LP..and gave the things back.. cosmetics. And wasade to sign papers..they called police but I was not arrested.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. In Massachusetts, like in many states, the law says that merchants who have been the victim of shoplifting are entitled to claim $50 to $500 above the actual damages (stolen or damaged merchandise) from the person who caused the damages. In other words, in addition to potential criminals charges someone who shoplifts can face a civil fine. It is up to you whether or not you pay this fine, but if you do not voluntarily pay it now, the merchant can file suit for this amount, and will win, since the law allows it and you could also have to pay for their attorney's fees.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for working with you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 7th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.