Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was in a store and i purchased 110 dollars worth of items…

Customer Question
I was in a...

I was in a store and i purchased 110 dollars worth of items i had put a 14.99 dog sweater in my pocket because my basket was full, i forgot about it and they made me come to the back of the store

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He said if i did not sign his paper he would call the police after i left, i did not sign honest mistake i have no theft on my record ever

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

It's good that you did not sign the paperwork, as it would have been self-ncriminating.

Do you know whether the were police called? Or whether a police report was filed?

no he just filled out a report in his office no police were not called
it was an honest mistake
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

How long ago did this occur?

45 minutes ago, he tried to get me to sign something under duress
said if i didnt sign he would call the police i said go ahead and left
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Did they take down any of your identifying information? A photocopy of your license?

took down my info but did not do a photo copy of my liscence
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Okay thanks for that additional information. Give me just a few minutes to type up my response. Thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Unfortunately it's quite possible that you may receive a summons to appear in court on a possible theft charge.

Hopefully not, but it's possible.

The good news is that you have a very valid legal defense and you did in fact pay for several items. It will be additionally helpful if you can demonstrate how many items you purchased, and that your basket was full etc. necessitating putting the sweater in your pocket.

If you do receive a notice to appear in court or a knock on your door from officers, then you should look into retaining a lawyer to represent you. You want to avoid obtaining a criminal record over an error like this.

You also want to be sure to not speak with officers without an attorney present, as anything you say to them can in fact be used as evidence against you in court.

If you can't afford to retain a private attorney right now and you do receive notice of a criminal case, then you can expect that a public defender will be appointed to you at your first court date.

Also since you have never been in any legal trouble before, if there is a criminal charge filed here, you would be eligible for pre trial diversion. This is a program reserved for first time offenders only and generally consists of rehabilitative classes, community service, and/or a fine. Then upon successful completion of the terms of the program, the charges against you are dismissed.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!