Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was recently denied a gun purchase because I have an M-1…

I was recently denied a...
I was recently denied a gun purchase because I have an M-1 misdemeanor charge of terroristic threats on my permanent record from 1982. I was drunk at the time and the guy hit my sister so in anger I said I'd get him. I live in Philadelphia, Pa. and I'm now 66 years old. I'm a card carrying member of AA and have been clean and sober for 25 years, I really don't see why this has to haunt me for the rest of my life. I tried to appeal this decision but it was denied. I'd like to know what steps can I take to remedy this situation?
12/7/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. According to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), the conviction makes one ineligible here. This essentially means anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun. This also includes any family violence case regardless of range of punishment.

So on the face, one is not allowed to own a firearm. However, it is possible to have your right reinstated, but there is no guarantee. A party in your situation may wish to file for what is known as PARDON, also called CLEMENCY.

Essentially, PA may pardon your conviction. See here:

www.bop.pa.gov/application-process/Pages/Process.aspx

Now, there is no right for a pardon - it is at the state's discretion. The good news is that while many are denied, because you were young and it has been some time years, this is a better chance than most. It is important to specifically request a pardon that also reinstates your firearm right.

Once this is done, and if the conviction is pardoned, then the firearm restriction would be lifted. A pardon functions to void the conviction in the eyes of federal law. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20) and (a)(33).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Thank you for your help with this matter. It's greatly appreciated.

My pleasure. Good luck.

Ely, Counselor at Law