Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I want to sue a store called Michaels because the sales

Customer Question
I want to sue...

I want to sue a store called Michaels because the sales clerk kept me there against my will while

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She calledthepolice becauseI a couple came in the store and told her that my car's nose was on the sidewalk and I went over the curb which I didn't when I was tring to park but I moved it before I went into the store and parked away from the front. Meanwhile thepolice came and arrested me DUI and I passed the breath test and their other test

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes we go to court tomorrow and he will plead not guilty and postpone it until the blood test comes back

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you so much for your patience. Something came up unexpectedly. Ok, so, you may have a cause of action for false imprisonment. False imprisonment occurs when a person (or people who work for a company) keep a person to a bounded area without any legal authority to do so. Shopkeeper's have a small privilege to hold people if they believe that they are stealing; however, they don't have much authority after that and cannot keep them for long. In your case, if you were not doing anything that would allow them to keep you, then you may have a cause of action for false imprisonment. The usual measure of damages is something that you would have to come up with on your own as it is an art more than a science.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising them that they could be liable for false imprisonment and to settle the matter outside of court. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?