Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is in stateville correction facility in illnois. He…

Customer Question
My son is in...

My son is in stateville correction facility in illnois. He has been assigned to bootcamp and will be released sometime in april. We live in Indiana. A friend of mine said there is some kind of paperwork that has to be complete before he can come back to Indiana?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We have a lawyer in illnois but she has proven to be next to worthless. Everything she has told us has been wrong

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was sentenced to 5 years on a felony 1. Supposed to serve day for day if he does not complete boot camp.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Trafficking in lsd, first offense. He is Illnois and is 19

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that.

Was your son's criminal case heard in Indiana or Illinois?

(..sometimes a case is heard in one state, but a prison term is served in another state).

Illnois
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Okay thanks for clarifying. Give me just a moment to type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Genrally courts do not transfer probation from one state to another, however it is possible under the criminal interstate compact.

In order to have his request to transfer approved he'll need to demonstrate that he has significant ties to Indiana and that it's where his social support is.

Some points to include in his request in order to demonstrate this would be: that family members reside in Indiana, a job opportunilty awaits him there, an educational or professional school he's interested in is there, he has a church there, etc.

The judge should theoretically be interested in helping your son succeed in his probation, hence demonstrating the social support and opportunities awaiting him in Indiana would be the most persuasive route for getting his interstate transfer request approved.

You would also want to make sure he has a lawyer representing him with this, to draft and argue the motion persuasively on his behalf.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!