Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just found that a warrant for my arrest has been issued, I…

Customer Question
I just found that...

I just found that a warrant for my arrest has been issued, I am a diabetic that takes insulin shots and other medications, how do I avoid spending the night in jail, what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Ohio 11/16/2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No and I can't afford an attorney I get disability benefits

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

thank you
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Spending the night in jail might not be avoidable if a warrant has been issued.

Why was the warrant issued, was this for a failure to appear at a scheduled court date?

No, I only found out about the warrant because I received a letter in the mail from an attorney
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Is it in relation to a criminal case?

this is the charge FORGERY - UTTER/POSSESS WITH PURPOSE TO UTTER
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Okay thanks for the clarification, give me just a moment to type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Since this is in relation to a criminal case, you have 2 options here:

(1.) go to the jail prepared with your empty prescription bottles -- this speeds up the process for getting the resident jail physician to fill your medication and get it to you while in custody.

(2.) retain an attorney to represent you in your case as soon as possible, then have your attorney file a motion to quash the bench warrant -- this would make the warrant go away, and re-set your court date to continue for your next hearing.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!