Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was convicted of a felony and was sentenced to 3 year

Customer Question
I was convicted of...

I was convicted of a felony and was sentenced to 3 year probation. After a year of probation, the probation officer asked court to waive the rest of my probation which he granted the order. My question is can't I get that felony charge deferred so regain my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Iowa, Fraudulent Practices in the First Degree

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, he said that the probation offcier should have done that before the first year was up, the probation officer says that judge would have had to defer the sentence when sentencing, So I am wondering what I can do now with 2 different answers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is the only thing on my record, I guess,

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

By your rights, I imagine you mean your gun rights? Unfortunately, no. Deferment is not possible in a conviction. If you were convicted, then it is not possible to seal/expunge one's felony conviction in Iowa. But there is a way, still, to regain one's gun rights.

According to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1), the conviction makes one ineligible here. This essentially means anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun. The only felonies that are not covered by the federal gun ban are (a) those "pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices," and (b) felony convictions from foreign countries. Small v. United States, --- U.S. ---, 2005 WL 946620 (April 26, 2005).

So on the face, one is not allowed to own a firearm. However, it is possible to have your right reinstated, but there is no guarantee. A party in your situation may wish to file for what is known as a PARDON, also called CLEMENCY.

Essentially, Iowa may pardon your conviction. See here:

http://www.bop.state.ia.us/ClemencyFaq

Now, there is no right for a pardon - it is at the state's discretion. It is important to specifically request a pardon that also reinstates your firearm right.

Once this is done, and if the conviction is pardoned, then the firearm restriction would be lifted. A pardon functions to void the conviction in the eyes of federal law. 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(20) and (a)(33).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.