Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Hired a co tractor to install new kitchen. Took the money…

Customer Question
Hired a co tractor...

Hired a co tractor to install new kitchen. Took the money and haven’t see n him since. What rights do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. Contact

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet. Filed a complaint with the PD- don’t think they care.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Take your time

This appears to be a breach of contract based on the failure to perform within a reasonable time if they failed to fix your kitchen after you paid them the momey. Courts regularly look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes. Under UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared breach of contract letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Ely, Counselor at Law