Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm looking for information about how I can help the

Customer Question
I'm looking for information...

I'm looking for information about how I can help the defendant in a domestic violence case where I am the victim. I want to help him get his charges reduced to misdemeanor

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Washington state. He was just charged with Assault 2 a felony

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I haven't. I qualify for legal aid through my university and I am very worried that he will not get treatment and just jail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has no violent past and I want to help him get into treatment and therapy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You are the complainant in the case. That means the county prosecutor is representing your interests. He or she is a lawyer and typically, you won't need another one to deal with this case.

Because you are the prosectuor's chief witness against the defendant, the prosecutor typically can't make out his case successfully without your cooperation. That means he should be willing to talk to you and to take into consideration your opinion about the need for treatment and therapy rather than a felony conviction and a prison sentence.

If you know the name of the prosecutor who is handling the case against the defendant, call the prosecutor's office and make an appointment to come see him or her so that you can share your feelings about what you feel would be the most just outcome of the case. If you don't know his name, call the prosecutor's office and ask the telephone receptionist for the name and phone extension of the prosecutor assigned to the case of State v. [the defendant's full name]. Then make an appointment to talk it over.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD