Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I am convicted of "battery against a household member"

Customer Question
If I am convicted...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

What are the the firearm consciences?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
I'm in NM. What are the the possession of firearms implications? also the purchase of firearms?
12/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This would likely be considered a domestic violence conviction and would then result in a permanent loss of firearm rights under federal law..

.

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1-9) prohibits the following from possessing, shipping, transporting, or receiving any firearm or ammunition:

.

(9) a person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

.

.

So it can have very serious implications if you plead guilty or are found guilty so you would need to fight it to the end and try to have an attorney negotiate a lesser charge that wasn't considered domestic violence if a plea occurs.

.

.

thanks

thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,
.
I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.
.
Did you have any further questions I can help with?
.
.
Thanks much