Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My step father filed a police report on me saying I told him…

Customer Question
My step father filed...

My step father filed a police report on me saying I told him I put a pillow over my moms head to kill her because she was in so much pain his story is false. he had drank about an 18 pack of beer throughout the day now he said he was drunk and will not talk to the prosicuter at this time what are my chances

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Friday night I'm in las vegas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes I was arrested at 300 sat morning and spent 7 days in jail till I made bond

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My prelimary hearing is on the 13th and he sats he is not showing up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If your father was the only witness to this allegation and he does not testify or cooperate, the DA has no choice but to dismiss charges, since they have no eyewitness to the allegations and you deny it occurred, so the prosecutor could not prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.

If he continues to refuse to testify, not just the preliminary hearing, your attorney would move to dismiss based on lack of evidence.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.