Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a friend who was incarcerated for assault. In the…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who was incarcerated for sexual assault. In the case it was shown that he was severely inebriated. In his final statement at sentencing the judge stated that he "did not think this person deserved such harsh sentencing." he requested that this person take advantage of the treatment programs available to lessen the sentence. There were 2 programs he suggested. My friend later found out that neither of those programs were available to him because of his age. the lawyer appealed based on this information. The judge told him to find cases where the case could be appealed based on this treatment not available to the inmate. Do you know of any such cases that could help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He is currently using a lawyer on this appeal

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 5 days by:
12/9/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Van, Retired Judge replied 7 months ago
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Welcome to Just Answer! I believe that I may be able to assist you but I will need some additional information. What was the sentence that your friend received, jail time or probation? When was the sentencing held? How much of the sentence has your friend served?