Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just received a citation at for shoplifting. I want to…

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a citation at XXX for shoplifting. I want to know how to proceed and understand the citation itself.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Um. This is my first offense, overall.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/3/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

A first offense of shoplifting in Georgia is normally a misdemeanor charge. While law enforcement can arrest you on the spot, very often they will issue a citation. However this is NOT a traffic citation. This is still acriminal offense.

If you plead guilty or no contest you will have a misdemeanor conviction on your record.

You very likely want to fight this charge. Hiring an attorney is your best bet. If you can not afford an attorney contact the public defender or legal aid.

The best outcome for you is a dismissal of the charges outright. BUT if that is not likely you may be able to persuade the prosecutor and the Court to impose a "deferred adjudication." A deferred adjudication is also known as a pre-trial diversion. Essentially you are placed on probation for a period of time, you have to pay fines and often perform community service. At the end of the probationary period the charges are dismissed and there is no conviction.

Here are some links that may be helpful to you:

Link to GA law:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-8/article-1/16-8-14/

Defense Attorneys:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/criminal-law/georgia

Public Defender Contact:

http://www.gapubdef.org/index.php/contact/central-office

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

How would I get in contact with a public defender?

You can go through the central office:

If you tell me your county I can see if I can find that contact.

Bulloch County, Statesboro, GA

Bulloch County Public Defender

30 N Main St, Statesboro, GA 30458

(###) ###-####/p>
Okay. Thank you. I'll contact you if I have any further questions.