Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Second opinion] I am wondering what steps i need to take to…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am wondering what steps i need to take to get my boyfriends and I, no contact order dropped, i was told by the victims advocate that i could write a letter to the judge and give it to the judge At his sentencing, his charges are dropped to assult 3 and assult 4 . The domestic violence was me my boyfriend and one of my friends we're heavily drinking and they did not particularly get along nobody really remembers exactly what happened that night but I know that that is the only incidents where he has ever become violent I've never seen him violent he is always been loving and caring and since his arrest he's been doing AA classes and anger management classes

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Washington state, i have only spoken with the prosecter and my boyfriends lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a child who is not my boyfriends but we were wanting to take steps towards him adopting him, and our wedding is planned for this May 2018. I want to understand a little better what it is i can do or what to say in my letter. This is my first time ever dealing with this and its my boyfriends first offense (besides a dui) the charges were dropped to assult 3 and assult 4. The prosecter keeps blowing me off and wont really speak with me (i had to go to him during his bathroom break in the hall for him to speak with me) i then contacted the victims advocate amd she told me to write a letter to the judge and ask for the judge to drop the no contact order. I feel i have no understanding of what i could do and am wondering what i can do our steps i can tale to help convince the judge. Addition to help my boyfriend is taking AA and anger managment due to he was VERY intoxicated when it happened. And these classes he has chosen to take without the judge asking or forcing L

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Hi, I'm a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

You can also consider making an oral request for the no contact order to be removed. Often times the judge will hear from the alleged victim without the need for a letter.

In any event, whether you opt for the letter or an oral request, you want to be sure to mention that you are not afraid for your safety in any way, and then you want to highlight the progress your boyfriend has made -- compliance with the court's requirements, attending AA, anger management, group counseling, etc.

The judge is ultimately going to make his ruling based on the severity of the alleged incident that occurred, the amount of time that has passed since the case begun, and the amount of progress your boyfriend has made in therapy.

If the judge is satisfied with his progress when looking at the totality of all the above mentioned factors, then he'll grant your request to remove the no contact order.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!