Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My 13-yr old son is being accused of spitting on a girl at…

Customer Question
Hello, my 13-yr old...

Hello, my 13-yr old son is being accused of spitting on a girl at school. Her mother filed an assault charge against him and the Principal made another kid write a letter saying my son did it. My son claims he did not spit on her. They are saying he spit down a stairwell and it landed on her head. The Principal claims he has a video of the incident but he would not show it to us when we asked to see it. We told the Principal that he didn't do it and he became enraged and cursed us out. Then proceeded to curse out kids in the adjacent hallway. My question is how will an assault charge affect our son?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They're claiming my son snapchatted an apology but my son has not had his phone for months and we received emails that someone is trying to get into his account so it's locked. So apparently someone is trying to get into his account.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
12/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Hi, I'm a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation. Give me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thanks!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Since your son is still a minor, if this were to be formally reported to the police, your son would end up having to attend juvenile court.

If found guilty, referred to as delinquent in the juvenile system, he could face jail time, probation, and/or have to pay a fine.

It's important to retain an attorney to represent him, if he does end up being formally charged with this as a crime.

The juvenile system is aimed at rehabilitation, which means it is much less punitive than the adult criminal system, but as I mentioned before, there are some serious penalties associated with this allegation.

Having an attorney would ensure that all of your son's defenses are raised and properly argued on his behalf, that he gets a fair trial, and that hopefully this could even be dismissed if in fact it did not occur as is being alleged.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!