Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am wondering if there is a new law pertaining to early…

Customer Question
I am wondering if...

I am wondering if there is a new law pertaining to early release for inmates with good behavuors

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If there isnt a new law what can an inmate do to partition for an early release. He has served 18 out of 23 years and has not even received a ticket in over 4 years.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/29/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Hi, I'm a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I've reviewed your question, and I'm happy to help! Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

ok thank you
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

There has not been any new laws pertaining to the early release of prisoners, however there has been some new legislation relating to the resources offered to parolees once they are released.

Michigan does however have what's called indeterminate sentencing -- which means yes, he can be released for good behavior once he has served the minimum amount required for his sentence.

In other words, when he was sentenced, in accordance with Michigan state law, he would have been sentenced to a period of a term of years, such as 10 -15 years, or 20 - 25 years.

Under indeterminate sentencing, he's eligible for parole at the earlier end of that term if he has had good behavior.

What was this person sentenced to? If they've reached the minimum for the shorter end of their sentence term, they can in fact apply for parole now, and with a record of good behavior, it should be granted.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!