Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been charged with forgery by my previous employer. An…

Customer Question
I have been charged with...
I have been charged with forgery by my previous employer. An individual offered to pay me an allowance online to run "errands" when I accepted they asked me for my bank information. I stupidly gave them my bank login. They were able to obtain a photo of my previous employer's check from a statement. They photoshopped it and deposited for a new amount. Now previous employer is accusing me of forgery.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/29/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for your post. Can you please tell me what your legal question is? Also, what do you mean your "employer" has "charged" you with forgery? Are you saying they filed a complaint with the State prosecutor's office and you have been arrested and booked for forgery? Also, what State are you in?

My question is what kind of information should i document to prove my innocense. And yes they have filed a complaint.

Thank you for your reply. You don't have to prove your innocence, the State has to prove your guilt. First and foremost, you should not make any statement to police or detectives about this issue unless and until you have spoken to and hired a criminal defense attorney. They are trying to find evidence against you and they have information that you don't, so it is never a good idea to make any statements whatsoever. If you already have, then even more important to hire an attorney immediately.

You can provide your attorney with the information that you have as it relates to this issue, including any emails, dates, times, names, etc., that help them build a defense. If the facts are as you have shared them, and you were unknowingly duped, then the State cannot prove forgery, or even conspiracy to commit forgery against you. Again, it is the State that must prove charges beyond a reasonable doubt, not you who must prove your innocence.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you can take a moment to let me know that I covered your question and also leave a positive rating of my efforts to explain the law of your issue to you, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 29th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.